Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 17:04:58 -0700
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing ports maintainers

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 07:55:59PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> If this is being done because Kris can't get a response when he wants
> changes, and he doesn't want to wait, I think that possibly he's doing
> folks a disservice, because I think some mainatainer is probably better
> than none at all, and for the majority of what he's doing, that's going to
> be the ultimate effect.

I think he's doing the right thing.  Inactive maintainers slow things
down.  PR's sit in the database because it's been assigned to a
maintainer that's not looking, and so no one else fixes it.  Major patch
sets go out for review and are delayed waiting for maintainers who never
respond...

If a port is broken or out of date and the maintainer is ports@ then
everyone knows that they can just fix it.  I know when I've had sudden
spurts of fixing ports from bento's logs that I always start with the
ports with no maintainer.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/