Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:52:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get xntpd to work

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> I am trying to set up time synchronization on 5 machines. What I want
> to do is have one machine, call it host0, sync to a public ntp server
> and have the other four machines, host{1,2,3,4} sync to the local xntpd
> server. I have read the xntpd(8) and searched the archives but can't get
> it.
>
> On host0 I have the following in '/etc/ntp.conf':
>
> server black-ice.cc.vt.edu
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

	I'm not sure that using the fudge directive is going to help you.
You might want to comment it out till you're sure everything else is
working.

> fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 4

> After starting xntpd on host0 I tried 'ntpdate -q host0' on the other
> machines.  I get a message that host0 is stratum 16, followed by a 'no
> host suitable for synchronization message'. Why is host0 stratum 16?
>
> I did an ntpdate to the public server prior to starting xntpd to get the
> time right at the start.
>
> I have had xntpd running for several hours now and the driftfile that
> was created has the following contents:
>
> 0.000 0
>
> That does not seem right. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

	Have you checked /var/log/messages to see if there are any xntpd
related errors? It sounds to me like your host0 is not synching to the
remote server. At most it should take 30 minutes or so for your local
xntpd to synchronize, so something is obviously wrong. You should also
take a look at the man page for ntptrace.

Good luck,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter