Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:22:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Heffner <mheffner@novacoxmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   configure scripts appear broken with new autoconf

This message is in MIME format
--_=XFMail.1.5.2.FreeBSD:20020110142223:188=_

With a new install of 4.5-RC1, and autoconf-2.5.2 (with automake 1.5), I've
noticed that running configure scripts generated with the new autoconf
doesn't work. I've noticed this with several programs that require
generating the configure scripts from configure.{ac,in}. When running the
configure script with no arguments, it dies at the following point:

checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf4.5
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf4.5
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/libexec/elf/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/libexec/elf/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed

The problem appears to be that the variable, '$lt_target', passed to
'ltconfig' as an argument is not getting set. In the configure script,
$lt_target is set as such:

case "$target" in
NONE) lt_target="$host" ;;
*) lt_target="$target" ;;
esac

However, when the configure script reaches this point, $target is an
empty string, so $lt_target becomes an empty string. Originally, in
configure scripts generated with autoconf-2.13, the $target variable was
initialized to 'NONE' and then was reset if the '--target' option was
specified. However, configure scripts generated with autoconf-2.5.2 don't
initialize $target to 'NONE', and therefore the above code segment sets
$lt_target to a zero-length string if the '--target' option isn't
specified.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm hoping this could be fixed
before 4.5-rel, because it means that using autoconf outside of the ports
system is broken. This doesn't appear to effect building ports from within
the ports system, because I believe the ports system manually specifies the
target when running configure (but I might be wrong...).

Thanks,

Mike

--
  Mike Heffner     <mheffner@[acm.]vt.edu>
  Fredericksburg, VA   <mikeh@FreeBSD.org>

--_=XFMail.1.5.2.FreeBSD:20020110142223:188=_

--_=XFMail.1.5.2.FreeBSD:20020110142223:188=_--
End of MIME message