Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:57:00 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMWare 2.0 and 4.1 RC, Progress

    Last night, I got VMWare 2.0 compiled on 4.1 RC (yes, I should
cvsup--perhaps this weekend), and successfully installed Win2K and
VMWare Tools into it.  I can indeed run in SVGA mode (I ran it at
1024x768x24bpp this morning).  What I can't do is talk to the
underlying FreeBSD host over the network.  I can ping the address
defined for VMWare from FreeBSD, but not vice-versa.

    I suspect I've either set up natd incorrectly or something else,
but I don't know what.  I tried specifying "Bridge" for the ethernet
device, and that didn't work, so I specified "Custom" and /dev/vmnet,
which was detected when VMWare started, but still didn't work.  I
should note that I found that there was no /compat/linux/dev/vmnet, so
I symlinked one from /dev/vmnet in order to be able to browse to it in
VMWare's settings.  That is obviously Not the Right Answer(tm).

    Anyway, there are some useful articles archived on
http://lists.opensources.com/FreeBSD/freebsd-emulation/ that really
got me going.  One of the things I did was to make the following
symlinks:

    /dev/ttyv0 -> /dev/tty0
    /dev/ttyv1 -> /dev/tty1
    /dev/ttyv2 -> /dev/tty2
    /dev/ttyv3 -> /dev/tty3
    /dev/ttyv4 -> /dev/tty4
    /dev/ttyv8 -> /dev/tty7  <--- this is where my X server runs
    /dev/ttyv9 -> /dev/tty11

    /dev/mouse -> /dev/sysmouse

If you run your X server on a different virtual terminal than ttyv8,
then you should symlink *that* terminal to /dev/tty7 instead.

    An error dialog pops up about /dev/sysmouse, but the mouse works
anyway, so I ignored the error.  I'd like to get sound working,
though.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (at yourfit.com)