Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 20:38:30 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How difficult is it to make a netbootable installation?

> You need to arrange to load the alpha netboot program from tftp which will
> then load the kernel via NFS. The file needed for tftp should be in
> /boot/netboot in the release. I use the following dhcpd configuration to
> netboot my alpha.  You should place the kernel in an NFS exported
> directory and point the root-path at that directory.

Excellent, thanks. With the help from you and Andrew Gallatin I'm now
up and running 4.0-19990413-CURRENT on a floppy-less Alphastation 200.
Installation was actually fairly painless.

A suggestion: It would be a good idea to remind people to activate the
ttyd0 entry (or possibly do this automatically, if it can be detected
that installation is done via a serial console).

Now to try a "make buildworld" with slightly more current sources...