Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:34:52 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Andre` Niel Cameron" <AndreC@Axxs.net>, "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

André writes:

> I just thought I would add that out of Linux
> (RH6.2 or 7.1) Windows (95/98/98SE/ME) and
> FreeBSD 4.x FreeBSD wins hands down everytime.

No surprise there.  All of the consumer Windows products are fairly unstable,
and they always have been.  Windows 9x and its descendants were a considerable
improvement over 16-bit Windows, but the fundamental architectural defects that
caused the instability remained.  Windows NT/2000 are far more stable, but I
suspect that FreeBSD and some other UNIX variants still have the edge, simply
because they are simpler operating systems, with less to go wrong.

As for Linux, I haven't used it, but given the way it is cobbled together, I'm
surprised it runs at all.  It still amazes me that production systems are being
entrusted to such a hodgepodge of code.

Running X under UNIX is a separate issue; I suspect that is no more stable than
latter-day versions of Windows.  It takes a huge amount of resources to provide
a GUI, and most developers yield to the temptation to take shortcuts in the
code, too--shortcuts that bypass the OS for performance reasons, and compromise
security and stability in the system in so doing.

> I agree that KDE is a bit heavy on the system,
> but its worth it weight.

If you are running KDE on your own desktop, using FreeBSD as essentially a
single-user system, that might be true.  But it is extremely wasteful on a
multiuser system.  I would not run any X server on a large system with many
users connected; let the users gobble resources on their own workstations, not
on the central system.

Then again, I'm not sure where you'd run X servers in a multiuser
environment--where else is there besides the console?

> I think one of my favorite things about BSD
> is that when I change things its often as simple
> as editing a text file.

I like this, too.  All the tabs and dialog boxes and what-not of Windows are
pretty to look at and friendly for the total novice, but for day-to-day
administration, they are a source of inefficiency and frustration for seasoned
administrators.  And it's virtually impossible to efficiently administer a
Windows server remotely.

Tweaking the Windows registry is a pain, too.

> I found that enjoyable as often with bulky windows
> simple config tasks often required the dreaded
> reboot:).

Yet another advantage of FreeBSD.

Actually, at least in theory, very little in Windows requires a reboot,
particularly on the industrial-grade Windows systems, such as NT and 2000 (and
XP, I guess).  But most Windows software is so poorly designed that it modifies
or overwrites system files that cannot be reloaded without a boot, so booting is
necessary; this is more likely to be the case on the consumer versions, because
they aren't as resilient as the professional versions.  And when you boot,
there's always the chance that whatever change the last software installation
made will prevent the system from coming back up, in which case you are very
nearly dead in the water.

The way I see it, you should never have to boot an operating system at all to
make changes, unless you are literally reloading wired kernel modules that
simply cannot be taken out of execution (e.g., a dispatcher).