Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:18:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OSPF and gated

Someone posted a message regarding this, and I accidentally deleted it.
But, I think I can help.  The two addresses OSPF are complaining about are
the class D multicast addresses that OSPF uses to send Hello packets and
Link state updates to.  224.0.0.5 is the universal OSPF address.  All OSPF
routers should be able to listen at this address.  224.0.0.6 is listened
to by designated routers and back designated routers.  This explains why
you have so much usage on 224.0.0.5, and very little on 224.0.0.6.
However, the reason you're getting errors in your log file could be due to
an error in gated.  OSPF does require an interface configured with IP in
order to run.  On networks that support multicast (i.e. ethernet) OSPF
maps IP multicast addresses to MAC addresses.  If you don't have an
ethernet card configured for OSPF, this could also be why you're getting
the errors.

Joe Clarke