Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:13:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        John Gibbons <gibby@fastechsfa.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, John Gibbons wrote:

> I am getting weird results when trying to run an ldap search. It seems that
> I need to upgrade ld.so or libc.so. Is this correct? Is it in a port? If so,
> is there anything I should watch for when I install it?
> Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to this.
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0: minor version 0 older
> than ex
> pected 1, using it anyway
> ldap_search: No such object
> ldap_search: matched: c=US

It means that when ld.so, the runtime linker, read your executeable, and
tried to link the libraries that the executeable was linked with, it
couldn't find the libc version that the executeable was originally
linked with, and settled for another version.  The effects are usually
negligible, but _could_ be serious.  The solution is to rebuild the
executeable on your present machine, so that it's linked with the
libraries from whatever FreeBSD version you're running.

You neglected to mention the FreeBSD version you're running, but I'm
willing to hazard a pretty safe guess that it's not current.  In any
case, there's absolutely nothing wrong with ld.so.  Oh, and DON'T try to
upgrade your libc!  You either upgrade your entire system, or rebuild
the ldap executeable, but _never_ upgrade a libc only!

> Thanks in advance,
> John Gibbons
> Fastech Inc.
> Email: jgibbons@fastechsfa.com

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).