Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:44:33 -0500
From:      Jeff Walters <jeff@walters.name>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fatal trap 12 in 5.0-RC2

FYI, I got a kernel panic while copying (cp -rfv) about 200 MB worth of
files from CDROM to a UFS2+S partition.  The system is running GENERIC
off the 5.0-RC2 ISO's (i386).  Here's the output:

Fatal trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address   = 0xf0
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc02becef
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xcdc4abc8
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xcdc4abe0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 495 (cp)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

fsck_ufs was running in the background during the above.  When I
allowed fsck_ufs to complete and retried, the copy operation completed.

As a side note, the system seems vulnerable to page fault panics while
the background fsck_ufs is running after a hard crash.  I've had
several in the past 20 minutes in the cron process, to the point where
I'm right now in the 5th iteration of a panic/reboot loop without
touching the system.  The hardware itself was stable under 4.7.