Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:23:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   suspend/resume on toshiba 4010cdt

Hi all,
i'm having a problem with my pcmcia modem card and the suspend/resume
feature.  Two questions, actually.  First, i got my kernel config from
someone else running the same machine, so it is a little different.
When i try to use the original one, it doesn't work.
Details:
running 3.4 stable (no PAO)
i *did* have the experimental APM option in the kernel, but that
crashed on resuming even when ppp was not connected so i removed it.
i'm trying to go from memory here, so i apologize if details are
sketchy....
The serial config options for sio in my kernel are exactly the same as
the ones in GENERIC.
In the pccard.conf file, my card is configged for sio2, rather than 1
or 0.  The odd thing is, if i change this to sio0 or sio1, and change
the ppp.conf entry to cuaa0 or cuaa1, i get a bad file descriptor when
dialing.
Question 1: why when i change my pccard.conf from sio2 to sio0 or sio1
(like in the example file for the exact same card) does it give me a
bad file descriptor error?

Now on to #2.  I finally got FreeBSD to recognize my card when resuming,
but *only* when i am not connected.  I recently had my battery go
critical (i was trying to drain it for maintenance purposes) and so
the computer suspended.  When i plugged in to AC and restarted, it
couldn't allocate the Toshiba card driver.  Then, when i tried to
reboot, i got a page fault deep inside ppp.
Question 2: I realize i should close/quit ppp before shutdown, but if
this is unavoidable, how can i prevent ppp from crashing on resuming?
Better yet, how can i get the OS to reset the pccard modem on resuming
so i can redial?

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it
poorly."