Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:16:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@bb01f39.unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Anyone doing aout 'make release' ??

Hello,

   If anyone is still running 'make release' on an aout system
successfully, would you please let me know... Also, if possible,
could you please make available your logfile?

   I continue to have, and am unable to determine the root cause,
of the following error I have been receiving since Aug 29.

>>> Re-scanning the shared libraries..
cd /usr/src; /sbin/ldconfig -R
ldconfig: /var/run/ld.so.hints: No such file or directory
*** Error code 255

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
---> Tue Sep 22 06:37:37 EDT 1998 - build of 3.0-980922-SNAP was an abject failure.

What I know:

   a. The ldconfig during a 'make release' is running chroot'd.
      ie:  from my logfile:
      chroot /snap/release /mk

   b. My objformat is aout. Once again, from my logfile just before
      the chroot:
      echo OBJFORMAT=aout > /snap/release/etc/objformat
      echo "export OBJFORMAT=aout"    >> /snap/release/mk

   c. /var/run/ld.so.hints exists on my running system. It does
      not exist in the chroot'd area:
      ie: /snap/release/var/run/ld.so.hints  Does NOT exist

What I think:

   a. ldconfig should not be run when doing a 'make release'

   OR

   b. ldconfig should be given a default set of paths to search
      during a 'make release'. ie: maybe the default path set
      from /etc/rc.conf:

      ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib \
                           /usr/X11R6/lib/aout /usr/local/lib/aout"

   c. I do not beleive the -R option should be specified for a
      'make release'

   Comments? Critiques?

Thanks,
John