Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:04:39 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NatWest? no thanks

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> >From: Mike Meyer [mailto:mwm@mired.org]
> >The thing is, if you design a web site for the WORLD wide web, and not
> >for the web balkanized by browser type, your site will be ADA
> >compliant. In other words, if the web site is properly designed to
> >interoperate with the hundreds - if not thousands - of different
> >agents that read web pages, ignoring the ADA completely, then the web
> >site will be ADA compliant. No special effort is needed.
> Then how about instead of mandating ADA compliance, you mandate EITHER
> ADA compliance, or W3C compliance?  I'd rather see ADA compliance mandate
> a website comply with a public standard than with it's own set of special
> rules.

By that, I take it you mean the W3C's accessibility guidelines that
can be found at <URL: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ >.

I'd say no. The federal guidelines - used for federal government sites
- don't mandate what technology be used; they mandate that there there
be accessible options available for all disabled - not just blind -
users. The W3C guidelines tell you how to do that using the technology
available at the time they were written. Would you rather have "Your
site must have accessability options", or "every img that carries
content must have a meaningful alt"?

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.