Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:53:35 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest changes to kernel are causing X slowdowns

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Could you please provide a bit more data here ?
>
> Is any processes soaking up CPU time (check with top for instance) ?
>
> If they are, please run them under "ktrace" and dump the output someplace
> where I can find it.
>
> Poul-Henning
>
> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980331105559.440A-100000@cole.salk.edu>, Tom Bartol w
> rites:
> >
> >I can confirm this problem as well.  I haven't tried backing out to the
> >24th yet but things are definitely slower in X here with the world and
> >kernel I just made this morning.  Netscape is especially slow.  My
> >previous build was circa 980323.
> >

> >Tom

<Snip>

Sorry for intrusion, but I've also got this slowness. And no, according to
top there is no CPU eaters. Besides, not everything slows down: KDE apps,
for one, don't, and uemacs in xterm doesn't, and so on. But, for instance,
netscape (or dmesg or man in xterm, or lots of others) do. With no sign in
top output. Strange things happen :-\
Previous build: 980329

Regards,
Vladimir