Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 17:09:58 -0800
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible source of AppleTalk support if anyone is interested

From: rdk@cc.gatech.edu (Bobby Krupczak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun.announce
Subject: AppleTalk Protocol Source Distribution
Date: 12 Jan 1996 20:05:11 -0500
Sender: zorch@ftp.UU.NET

We are pleased to announce an update to our release of our AppleTalk protocol
source code as part of our research in protocols and protocol subsystems.  We
have coded an AppleTalk implementation in the BSD, Streams and x-Kernel
subsystems and then combined protocols from different subsystems using
Adapter protocols.

We have updated our distributions to include support for AppleTalk's data
stream protocol (ADSP) in the Streams subsystem as well as the x-Kernel.
Further, Streams in SunOS and Solaris 2.x is now supported.  Lastly, we have
added two additional adapter protocols for building protocol graphs that span
multiple subsystems.

The implementations have been tested against native Macs, AppleTalk routers,
Newtons, and themselves.  Please read the accompanying COPYRIGHT notice (in
the source code).  Bugs, etc. to rdk@cc.gatech.edu

The main homepage for the distributions can be found at:

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/playground/MULTI/outline.html

>From there you can download the various components, view performance
graphs, and access papers.  Below is an outline of our work.

Bobby

                     Multi-Subsystem Protocol Architectures

                                 Bobby Krupczak
                                 Mostafa Ammar
                                  Ken Calvert
                              College of Computing
                        Georgia Institute of Technology
                             Atlanta, GA 30332-0280

Overview

The directory contains references and implementations that are part of our
research in Multi-Subsystem Protocol Architectures. In this research, we
combine protocols from disparate subsystems into a single protocol graph
using Adapter protocols. Adapter protocols provide subsystem translation
services and allow the construction of interoperable protocol graphs
combining protocols implemented within different subsystems. This approach
alleviates the protocol porting problem and permits protocol programmers to
"pick and choose" those subsystem features they deem desirable while avoiding
those deemed undesirable.

Papers

   * Bobby Krupczak, Mostafa Ammar, Ken Calvert. "Multi-Subsystem Protocol
     Architectures: Motivation and Experience with an Adapter-Based Approach",
     Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM '96 (to appear)

   * Bobby Krupczak, Mostafa Ammar, Ken Calvert. "Multi-Subsystem Protocol
     Architectures: Motivation and Experience with an Adapter-Based
     Approach",Technical Report GIT-CC-95-08, Georgia Institute of Technology,
     February, 1995 (Revised July, 1995).

   * Bobby Krupczak, Mostafa Ammar, Ken Calvert. "Multi-Subsystem Protocol
     Architectures: Motivation and Experience with an Adapter-Based Approach
     (Extended Abstract)", to appear in Proceedings of the Third IEEE Workshop
     on the Architecture and Implementation of High Performance Communications
     Subsystems (HPCS'95), August 1995.

The Distribution

An example multi-subsystem protocol architecture using the AppleTalk protocol
family and the x-Kernel, BSD, and Streams subsystems is available. Included
in this release is an AppleTalk protocol graph for the x-Kernel, BSD, Streams
(SunOS and Solaris) and a set of adapter protocols for combining them.
Although the adapter protocols are instantiated for the AppleTalk protocols
(ATP, ADSP, and DDP specifically) they are general and can apply to any
protocols coded within those subsystems.

Each distribution has been tested on Sun/Sparcs running SunOS 4.1.X (and
Solaris 2.4 for Streams) using the underlying BSD or Streams subsystem native
to that version of SunOS. The x-Kernel version used is 3.2. All AppleTalk
protocol graphs have been tested against native AppleTalk implementations on
Macs and Newtons, routers (Cisco and Gatorbox), against AppleTalk stacks
implemented in other subsystems (BSD, x-Kernel, and Streams) and against
itself. The distributions support AppleTalk Phase 2 and implement (at least)
DDP, ATP, ADSP, AEP, RTMP, NBP, and ZIP (sort of). For more information on
AppleTalk please refer to Inside AppleTalk by Sidhu, Andrews, and
Oppenheimer.  Note, the ADSP implementation does not exist natively in BSD
but can be included via subsystem adapation.

The x-Kernel version of our multi-subsystem protocol architecture relies on a
NIT/Ethernet anchor protocol to gain access to the underlying ethernet
device.  The Streams version relies on the SunOS NIT device also. The BSD
version does not require the NIT device be installed in the kernel.

Instructions for installing the source code in Streams and BSD are beyond the
scope of this document. The distributions for each subsystem (BSD and
Streams) should contain kernel specific files. To install within the
x-Kernel, refer to the x-Kernel programmer's manual.