Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:05:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <rif@ns.kconline.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   invisible with xterm

I am not sure if this is a bug or just the way things work, but I thought
I would mention my findings.

One day, after hearing of the possible vunorability of xterm, I decided to
take the suid bit off of it just in case.  Just the other day, I knowticed
something peculiar happening with it now.  If I start up an xterm, I am
invisible.  Which I am invisible, everything works fine, as I can do
everything I could do before.

I have found this rather nice for watching people, as I am not shows in
the w display, or even fingering says that I am not logged in if I log out
with everything but the new xterm.
The tasks still show up in ps and everything, just not with say "w" or
"users" or anything like that.

For example, here is what I get with a tty and a w after doing this, as
you can see, the tty says I am on ttyp3, but it just isn't showing up in
w.

tty output:
/dev/ttyp3

w output:
 3:50AM  up 17 days, 22:34, 4 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.06, 0.04
USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
rif      p0  rif               7:35PM     - -tcsh (tcsh)
ghormann p1  wawasee.read.ind  9:24PM  5:01 -tcsh (tcsh)
ghormann p5  wawasee.read.ind 10:10PM  4:57 -tcsh (tcsh)
jriffle  p6  rif               1:05AM     - -tcsh (tcsh)

I realize I could fix this by putting the suid bit back on, but what will
stop say any user just compiling xterm themselves and becoming invisible?
Although this is not a real problem, it just isn't comforting thinking of
invisible users.  I for one, don't check my ps display to see if people
are hiding <G>. Naturally the only people who could do this would be
people with X, which in my case is very few.

So, is this some sort of a bug, or just something that is going to happen?

Also, has anyone ever found out of there is any vunorabilities with xterm?
I was following that thread, but don't recall it ever being resolved.

Jim