Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:22:23 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ``mt erase 0'' on a non-rewinded tape

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 08:18:52PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>=20
> > The script always used to fail with EINVAL attempting to run a
> > quick erase, ``mt erase 0''.  After a bit of experimenting, it
> > turned out that `erase' only works if I rewind the tape (either
> > through by using the rewind device, or by running the `rewind'
> > or `retension' commands in advance).
>=20
> Please read the SCSI command description for your drive.  Depending on
> the media type, the ERASE command will only be accepted at either
> beginning of medium, or at the beginning of partition for a
> partitioned medium.  AFAICT, the FreeBSD driver doesn't support
> partitions anyway, so in effect, the drive will only accept the
> command at BOM.
>=20
OK, thanks for the explanation!

> Apart from that, i don't understand your reasoning for the erase
> command.  Since the quick erase is a logical erase command only
> anyway, the effect is the same like starting to write from BOT, for
> any practical purpose.
>=20
My tapes always look like this:

level 0 backups at Friday's evening, level 1 backups on Monday, ...,
level 4 backups on Thursday.  If I don't erase the tape when I do a
level 0 backup, won't there be a chance that when I later do an
incremental backup and do an "mt eom" it will find some stale file
markers left by old incremental backups?

> Whether you use the rewind or non-rewind device should make no
> difference, as long as the tape itself is at BOM.  "non-rewind"
> actually means "do not rewind upon close of the device", while the
> state at open time is always the state the device has been left over
> by the last operation.
>=20
I wasn't clear enough.  I meant it worked if I always used the rewind
device.  In this case, "mt erase" was always run at the BOM.

> It's always good practice to keep the medium at BOM while the tape is
> not in use, since after all, that's the only position you can rely of.
> Otherwise, if a SCSI bus reset hit while your script was idle, the
> drive will rewind the tape, and next time your script is run it might
> make an invalid assumption about the actual tape position, thus
> perhaps accidentally overwriting something.  OK, you wrote that you're
> using a "mt eom" before trying to append, so you're already safe
> there, but then there's no reason to not rewind the medium when
> finishing the script.
>=20
Yes, the script runs "mt eom" for that very reason.  But why would I
rewind the tape if the next day I want to use it from this same
position?  IOW, if the SCSI bus isn't reset in-between, I get:

# /usr/bin/time mt eom
        0,01 real         0,00 user         0,00 sys

(I change the tapes once a week, at Friday's evening.)

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,