Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:34:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        graeme.brown@bt-sys.bt.co.uk (Graeme Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why does lpd say I have no printer ?

Graeme Brown wrote,
> My /etc/printcap contains
>
> #remote|sample remote printer:\
> lp|ljet4|ljet4_1|remote|remote printer:\
>         :lp=:\
>         :rm=freeb15:mx#0:sd=/var/spool/lp:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

I'm no printcap expert, but I can compare this to ones that work for
me.

Why do you have that 'lp' line in there? One of my printers runs off
of a remote machine (an SGI, not FreeBSD), and I do not have an 'lp'
entry.

Or do you need a 'rp' entry to tell the remote server which printer
you are talking about? I think it is supposed to default to 'lp,' but
give it a try.

> I do not get any useful error messages in /var/log/lpd-errs
> % tail -f /var/log/lpd-errs
[snip]

What about entries on the remote print server, freeb15?