Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:28:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: -CURRENT Feature Slush is OVER

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > >
> > >   I would be happy to do this.  I checked out a copy of the CVS tree
> > >right before we made the Perforce branch so that we could tag it later
> > >if absolutely necessary.
> >
> > I think this is a good and useful idea.  Thanks.
>
> Yes, thanks, Murray.  Without something like this, I think the CDROM
> will be worse than useless.

One reason for deciding to abandon the original CVS idea was that the
release engineering team was informed that there were on-going
repocopies/removes/renames that would result in tagging causing long term
problems.  I.e., there's stuff in the repository that is destined to
"magically disappear" since it's never hit a stable branch (beta versions
of compilers and so on.  In tagging the tree, we'd be (in essence)
asserting that those transient bits of history would stick around to make
the tag useful later.  I don't mind tagging the tree with the
understanding that if you check it out later, it will be known not to
build due to a missing compiler, as long as people understand that. :-)