Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 2014 15:14:10 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Stephen Woolerton <direct727@gmail.com>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to build ports, using a version of clang installed from ports

On 09/07/2014 08:14, Stephen Woolerton wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I wish to compile a version of clang from ports, and then use that to
> build all my ports.
>
> By way of background, I'm running a 10.0 arm snapshot and the version
> of clang on the system is 3.4. A number of ports won't compile with
> clang 3.4, and so I wish to build the clang 3.3 port, and then
> compile all my ports with clang 3.3.
>
> How would I do this please?

In /etc/make.conf add -

CC=/usr/local/bin/clang33
CXX=/usr/local/bin/clang++33
CPP=/usr/local/bin/clang-cpp33

If you find a port that has trouble with that you can add

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/math/atlas*}
USE_GCC=any
.endif

you can swap any for a specific version number
eg- USE_GCC=4.8

Or you can go the other way and specify which ports use clang33