Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:58:40 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editing a makefile in ports

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:33:30 -0500
> Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't know enough about coding or even scripting, I fear, to know
if this > > is an inane question or not.
> > <snip>
> > (Concerning x11/XFree86-4 and downgrading from 4.2.0 to 4.1)
> > If I simply edit the line in the
> > Makefile that says PORTVERSION =  4.2.0 and change it to 4.1.0 will
that > > solve my problem, or will there then be various other conflicts
that I > > don't know enough to see.

To answer my own question---I see that ports has already been downgraded
to 4.1.x--a quick perusal of the ports mailing list archives indicates
that there have been enough problems with it so that it's felt it
doesn't yet belong on STABLE.  (And thank a couple of people that took
the time to send me private mails informing me of that)

Also, I realized afterwards, that as there are MD5 sums involved, it
would have been more complex than simply changing the version number in
the Makefile Thanks
Scott Robbins