Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 03:24:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        mindyob@yahoo.com (Gopi Kriahnan)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Qusetion

Gopi Kriahnan wrote:
> Sir,
>
>     Well I have small problem that I wanted to know clear about in the
> part onthe country I live there is lot of powercuts, would this effect
> the operating system (freebsd). Well let me know..

Yes, powercuts can damage the filesystem, as well as the hardware.

The damage to the filesystem will be minimized (but not completely
prevented) if the partitions are mounted for "synchronous writes".
(This is the default).  Power "brownouts" (lowered voltage) can
also cause problems. Brownouts are common here in summertime.

I live in a rural area and powercuts, as well as lightning storms,
are common here.  In the US, a backup power supply can be had for
about US$150, adequate for one computer and monitor. These protect
well against blackouts, brownouts, and surges due to lightning
strike. The cost per computer protected goes down, if you have a central
site, where many computers can be backed-up by a single large battery
backup system.  At the very least, a computer should have a /good/
surge protector, to protect against overvoltages due to lightning
and sometimes improperly isolated machinery. Modem telephone lines
should also be surge-protected -- an entire computer can be damaged
by a lightning surge through a modem.

Some brands of UPS can be connected to a serial port on the computer
and cause the computer to shut down gracefully in the event that
the power failure is more than a few minutes.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net