Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:43:29 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "setantae" <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use
References:  <20011119220243.A268@prayforwind.com> <009a01c171a9$4eedbee0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120023948.A92409@xor.obsecurity.org> <00df01c171b0$2a938be0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120105642.GA75918@rhadamanth> <012d01c171b6$96b5adc0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120114236.GA76431@rhadamanth> <005f01c171bf$c4d06b10$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120131850.GA77414@rhadamanth> <001f01c171cf$430e8ac0$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <20011120150009.GA78153@rhadamanth>

Ceri writes:

> We are talking about window managers.  Window
> managers don't run applications.

Yes.  That's why an X environment on UNIX that looks and feels like Windows is
still useless--because looking like Windows doesn't mean able to execute Windows
applications.

> It's perfectly possible to run applications
> such as Netscape without a window manager.

There is a command-line version of Netscape???  Where?

It seems a lot like the Ihaveonlytwoyearsofexperience@freebsd.org list.

> Yes, and you never heard of them, therefore
> your statement (which I include below, since
> you snipped it) make no sense.

Sure it does.  All operating systems look very much the same after you've seen a
few of them.  There are only so many overall architectures that make any sense
for an operating system.

> I evaluated your competence with FreeBSD.
> Nothing more.

Yes, that is obvious.

> You were stating that a gui environment on FreeBSD
> is no more stable than Windows, when you only have
> three weeks experience with one window manager on
> FreeBSD.

The stability of a GUI is independent of the OS over which it executes.

> I thought you were looking for a window manager
> that doesn't crash.

I was actually looking for an X server that would run on Windows, so that I
could have a graphic environment for my UNIX interaction from Windows that would
be similar to the native Windows environment.  I am far less interested in a
separate GUI to run on the console, and I only tried that out of curiosity, and
as a second choice.

> If you change operating system then you need to
> realise and accept that you'll be changing the
> way you do some things.

I did that from the beginning.  That's why I used the command-line interface
exclusively from the start, and that's why I continue to use it.  What I find
amusing is that so many people seem to work so hard to make UNIX look like
Windows.  Is having a GUI really that important ... especially on an operating
system that is really designed as a server, and not as a desktop?  If you really
want just a graphic desktop that badly, why run FreeBSD?  Windows or even a Mac
is a better choice (or perhaps even Mac OS X, if you feel compelled to have some
sort of UNIX flavoring in there somewhere).

> You shouldn't be using this list for that purpose.
> You should be using newbies@FreeBSD.org.

Newbies is not for questions.  It's marked in the initial information sent out
for that list.

> This is an argument.

Is it?

> If you want useful information, ask a question
> and don't make statements.

More precisely:  Ask a question and take whatever you are told as gospel.