Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:33:04 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jon Rust" <jpr@vcnet.com>
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID 1 Controller

>While searching the archives for support of Promise RAID cards, I saw
>a lot of questions about IDE RAID support -- and not many answers. I
>found one that may help some folks. It's called DupliDisk, and it is
>copmletely hardware based and OS independent A review of it can be
>found here:
>
>    http://www.penstarsys.com/Reviews/dupli.htm
>
>Their website is here:
>
>    http://www.arcoide.com
>
>I have no experience with the product, but it fits my needs
>perfectly, and the reviewer above seems to like it (found the review
>at altavista).

I have one of these installed in our server at work, connected to a pair of
10GB IDE drives. This machine previously ran Win95 and was used as our
Internet gateway and to share its hard drive space with 7 other Win95/98
clients. Because of instabilities with Win95 (who would have thought?--after
all, all this machine ever ran was WinGate, MDaemon, and File and Printer
Sharing, but it wouldn't go 2 weeks without having to be rebooted...), about
6 months ago I put FreeBSD on it and was pleasantly surprised to find that
the Arco DupliDisk is indeed OS independent.

I haven't had a drive failure (knock on wood), but supposedly the DupliDisk
will allow you to keep operating on the remaining drive until it's
convenient to shut down and replace the failed drive. You have to boot to
DOS on a floppy to use their software to rebuild the mirror, but that's no
big deal...

Bottom Line: If you want to mirror an IDE system, the Arco DupliDisk is a
worthwhile addition at $250 or so. Highly Recommended!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!