Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 2014 10:03:48 -0400
From:      rvclayton@acm.org (R. Clayton)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reconfiguring a package and other questions.

I'm running this

  $ uname -a
  FreeBSD BanjaLuka 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 r260789: Fri Jan 17
  01:46:25 UTC 2014     root@snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

  $

and I did this (via www.freebsd.org/handbook/x-install.html)

  # pkg install xorg

to install X.  It didn't work: xstart runs the default window manager, but the
keyboard and mouse are frozen.

1: I usually install xorg from ports, and what I do in this case (which usually
happens) is reconfigure xorg-server to disable hal.  However, I don't see how
packages can be reconfigured.  the pkg-config man page seems to show how to
reconfigure pkg itself, not individual packages.  How it possible to
reconfigure packages?

2: How do I undo the effects of installing a metapackage like xorg?  Doing the
obvious

  # whereis X
  X: /usr/local/bin/X

  # pkg remove xorg
  Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages:

          xorg-7.7

  Proceed with deinstalling packages [y/N]: y
  [1/1] Deleting xorg-7.7... done

  # whereis X
  X: /usr/local/bin/X

  #

doesn't do what I wanted ("pkg delete -R xorg" behaves as above).

3: I resorted to deleting xorg-server as a package and re-installing it as a
port with appropriate configuration.  This works, but raises the question of
consistency between ports and packages.  What is the relation between the
software in ports and the software in packages?  Have I just introduced an
error (or potential for error) that will come back and bite me hard six months
after I've forgotten what I've done?