Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 11:12:06 -0700
From:      Joe <ibjoe@home.com>
To:        Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD, Proxy Server, Cable Modem

Eric,
You weren't talking to me, were you? My private network is isolated from the
cable network. Actually, for extra $ @home will assign you extra IP
addresses, then you don't even need a gateway machine, just plug them all
into a hub along with the modem.. And @home does not condone the use of a
gateway to connect multiple PCs..
Joe

At 10:27 AM 8/5/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 05 Aug 1999, vagner@www.timandpatrick.com wrote:
>> I also have a similiar setup, mine has only one network card,
>> basically come out of the cable modem into a hub and just plug in the freebsd
>> machine and then point the other machines to the freebsd machine that has
>> firewall and natd running.
>
>So *YOU* are the moron making my kernel complain that "192.168.1.1 is on de0,
>but was accessed from rl0".  (Yes, I'm on cable modem too).
>
>It's silliness like this that's going to get FreeBSD and Linux users banned
>from the cable network.  You can't just put any old addresses out onto a
>public Ethernet (which is what the cable "modem" is, basically) and expect the
>rest of us to put up with it.
>
>Put another card into your machine and use it as a gateway and firewall.
Please.