Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:32:48 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, nbm@mithrandr.moria.org
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults! (Was: Re: wats so  special about freeBSD?)

At 04:40 PM 9/21/2000, Wes Peters wrote:

>Brett, did it ever occur to you THESE ARE THE DEFAULTS because MOST PEOPLE
>WANT THEM THAT WAY?  Most people who install FreeBSD just want telnet, mail,
>and NFS to work,

IMHO:

Telnet is dangerous and should be disabled now that SSH is in common use
and is not encumbered by patents. sshd should be on unless the user
asks for it not to be. (He or she should still be asked.)

Mail should be an option that defaults to "on" but lets the user ask that
it not be activated at install time. Many of us like to reconfigure before
turning it on. And others will be using FreeBSD as a workstation and will
be using an e-mail client.... Sendmail doesn't need to be running.

As for NFS: I would take issue with the assertion that most people
want it on. Also, last time I checked the default install of FreeSBD
turned on /sbin/portmap even if the user explicitly asks for no NFS!
This is unnecessary and is a security breach just waiting to happen.

>they don't want to spend hours agonizing over the configuration
>of every single computer they install.

I wind up spending hours agonizing over the configuration of every
FreeBSD install I do, because I have to turn off many of the defaults
which could potentially compromise security or waste resources.

>They rely on firewalls, prayer, or
>abject cluelessness to secure their systems, and that's just fine.

Windows users do that. FreeBSD users should have it better.

>Have you considered using OpenBSD?  It does install with a more secure (i.e.
>"doesn't work for most people") configuration out of the box.

I have not only considered it -- I've used it quite a bit. On the table
next to me are machines with the latest releases of FreeBSD, NetBSD,
and OpenBSD.

--Brett Glass