Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:40:24 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        frank@exit.com
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supporting "winmodems" (was: PCI Modems Not Shown As Supported Hardware)

In message <200011060323.eA63NnN10511@realtime.exit.com> Frank Mayhar writes:
: Greg Lehey wrote:
: > I'm afraid it won't be long before these are the only modems available
: > for laptops.  I even accidentally bought on in PCMCIA format a couple
: > of weeks ago; nothing in the documentation indicated that it was a
: > "winmodem".  While I disagree with the idea of "winmodems", I think
: > we're going to have to support them sooner or later.  I do agree that
: > "someone else" can do it, though :-)

No one is disputing the desirability of supporting them in the
abstract.  There are a blue million of the devices out there.  The
problem comes when you have to support all the buggy DSP versions, all
the different schemes, etc, etc, etc.  It is a big job.

: My Dell laptop came with one preinstalled.  I didn't know it was a winmodem
: until it didn't work when I installed FreeBSD and called tech support.
:
: It would be nice to have this support.  What I mainly want to do, though,
: is shoot the guy that invented them.

Fey.  You'd have to get in a very long line. :-)

Warner