Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   du, find/xargs/sort, and MP3.tar

Here's a doozy for you.  I'm trying to compare a directory called MP3/ with
a huge file called MP3.DONE0415021909MPT.tar -- the idea being to make sure
the contents are similar (I've touched new files in the MP3/ directory
since untarring, so they won't be exactly the same...)

I tried some commands along the lines of these:

# du -hs MP3/
1.6G    MP3/

# du -hs MP3.DONE0415021909MPT.tar
1.2G    MP3.DONE0415021909MPT.tar

Erg, wait this proves nothing; I'd have to untar and THEN du -hs :(

Then I thought I'd get crafty and `tar tvf MP3.DONE0415021909MPT.tar >
the-tarfile.out` thinking I could later run things through `sort` but I am
hung up on how to get similar output that shows the contents of MP3/.

# find MP3/ -type f | wc -l
	OR?
# find MP3/ -type f -exec ls -al {}\; | more
	OR?
# find MP3/ -type f -print | xargs or something like that | sort...

Could one of you /\/\aster$ work some unixiacal magic on my task?  =^)

It soothes my soul to know you care.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder