Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:43:55 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 21643 for review

Apparently, On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:18:34PM -0800,
	Marcel Moolenaar said words to the effect of;

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 02:41:27PM -0500, Jake Burkholder wrote:
> > Apparently, On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:08:51AM -0800,
> > 	Marcel Moolenaar said words to the effect of;
> >
> > > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=21643
> > >
> > > Change 21643 by marcel@marcel_nfs on 2002/11/28 11:08:12
> > >
> > > 	Conditionally compile-out I/O port addresses and memory addresses
> > > 	in structs. Use tags and handles instead (as much as possible).
> > > 	Not the final state, but compilable and useable.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like we'll have to do a lot of the same stuff to get syscons to
> > work on sparc64.  It would be cool if you could take this into account
> > when adding ifdefs not to make it so ia64 specific.
>
> If there's agreement/consensus that this code is (potentially) useful
> then yes. I'm mostly working with the assumption that it will not be
> used in the end and I'm allowing myself to take all sorts of shortcuts.

Ok, understood.

> If we do want to proceed in this direction, then it's probably a good
> idea to get more people involved. I'm in no way a vga(4), fb(4) or
> syscons(4) wizard and I don't intend to take this on by myself: it's
> just too hairy...

Hmm, ok.  I don't really know what to suggest in that case.  Kazu was the
last person to do extensive work on syscons I think.  It may be less work,
for sparc64 at least, to look at importing wscons from netbsd or openbsd
which is much more multi platform aware than syscons.

> As a start: I think we should minimize conditional compilation based
> on architecture. I'd rather we introduce FB_NEWBUS as an option and
> use that. Thoughts?

This sounds fine.

> Secondly: In vga_vid_config we need to actually probe for a VGA device.
> Can I assume that for sparc64 the legacy memory and I/O exists as well?

Don't really know what you mean by legacy memory and I/O.  Most sparc64
machines have UPA graphics, which I imagine is quite different from vga,
I haven't looked into it, but there are some with just vga.

Jake