Date:      14 Oct 1999 03:55:21 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: date of last CVSup stored?

Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:

> I've just started tracking -STABLE and the timestamp in my checkout
> file translates to Tue Sep 28 23:13:34 BST 1999. This is the time
> I started (or finished?) cvsup'ing.

Started.

> How can this be related to the exact version of all the sources
> that were downloaded,

It can't.

> especially as I use a UK mirror and not the main site?

See <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~jdp/cvsup-access/>; for a description
of the time lag involved in the CVSup distribution chain.

> I've seen people on the lists use descriptions like
> "3.3-STABLE (19991003 snap)".
                        ^^^^
In that case they are referring to an official snapshot. These are
just what the name implies: a distribution built from a momentary
"snapshot" of the source tree. You can't know what version of a
source file exactly went into a snapshot build other than by looking
at the actual source distributed along with the snapshot. (Snaps are
available from <URL:ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/>.)
In practice, for most files date granularity is sufficient to
readily identify the version used.

For *releases* a "tag" is laid down in the CVS tree. Such a tag is
a label associated with the exact versions of all source files when
the tag was created. For examples, CVS operations can refer to the
exact state of FreeBSD 3.3R by specifying the RELENG_3_3_0_RELEASE
tag. Putting down a tag is a rather expensive operation since it
updates all(!) files in the repository, so this is only done for
serious demarcation points in the development history of the project.

> What I'm getting at is if I were to find something "broken" after
> cvsup'ing how does the date in the checkout file help identify the
> version of each (relevant) source file?

Each source file has a $FreeBSD$ identifier that gives the exact
version in RCS/CVS numbering. E.g., the checked-out version of
/usr/src/Makefile I have on my system contains

$FreeBSD: src/Makefile,v 1.228 1999/08/28 01:35:57 peter Exp $

which tells us:
- This is the FreeBSD identifier. (Source files shared between different
  projects may contain several identifiers.)
- The repository file is "src/Makefile,v".
- The exact version is 1.228.
- It was last changed on 1999-08-28, at 01:35:57, by somebody with
  the account name of "peter". (That's Peter Wemm.)
- (I don't know what "Exp" stands for.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de