Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:03:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike D Tancsa <mdtancsa@sentex.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to reset an fxp ethernet interface

> >Is there anyway to get more stats out of the interface on the FreeBSD end
> >of things that you or anyone knows of ?
>
>    It sounds to me like the hardware isn't negotiating the duplex properly.
> The PHY (physical interface) will default to half duplex if the negotiation
> fails. If the switch is hard configured for full duplex, then you'd have a
> problem.

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I am starting to suspect the switch negotiation more and
more.  I just connected the new machine via cross over cable to another
FreeBSD box with an fxp interface.  Again, ~ 3MB/s transfer on a 50meg
file.  I disconnected the cable, and then reconnected it, but unlike
in the case the the switch, ~3MB/s transfer again! So I guess it is
the switch not renegotiating things properly.  The odd thing is that
if I do a soft reboot on the FreeBSD box attached to the switch,
negotiation happens properly.  Is there anyways to 'simulate' what
happens at boot up time to the NIC so that the switch and the NIC
do negotiate properly ?  Or should I just look for a better switching
HUB ?  What would you reccomend as being the HUB of choice for Intel
NICs ?

	---Mike