Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:18:03 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>, obrien@freebsd.org, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0004061841370.38633-100000@dt051n0b.san.rr.com> Doug Barton writes:
: 	If I were working on an embedded system, the very first thing I'd
: chuck is csh. Nothing in the base depends on it being there, as opposed to
: /bin/sh which many things depend on. If you _have_ to have one, and you
: dno't have to have the other, it's a no brainer.

We have both csh and sh in our embedded system.  However, we're living
high on the hog with 48MB CF parts and know it.  If there's ever a
space crunch on these parts, vi and csh will be the first up against
the wall to be shot.  Not because they aren't useful and desirable,
but because they are big.  The nail that sticks up gets pounded down,
as the Japanese say.

: 4. Someone is willing to take responsibility for keeping it up to date.

I think that's the most important reason to do this.

Warner