Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 01:02:19 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   **HEADS UP**  KDE2 -> ports tree

Hi all,

Within 24 hours, I will be doing the initial import of KDE2 to our beloved
ports collection.  This includes the following:

        1) kde-qt-addon 1.90
        2) kdelibs 1.90
        3) kdebase 1.90
        4) kdesupport 1.90
        5) kdenetwork 1.90
        6) kdegames 1.90
        7) kdeutils 1.90
        8) kdetoys 1.90
        9) koffice 1.90
        *) complimented with a kde2 meta-port which installs all of the
           above except #8 and #9.

That's right - it all works on FreeBSD now.  Of course, as I don't really
have time to test it on 3.4-STABLE, it has only been tested on my
5.0-CURRENT devbox, running the latest sources.  So if you find any
discrepancies, report them and they will be fixed ASAP.

Everyone should consider this email a warning.  I have tried my best to
ensure that users don't accidentally install KDE + KDE2 stuff at the same
time.  I'm not sure it's even possible to have both kdelibs 1.x AND 2.x
installed at the same time without a lot of trouble..

Anyway, these version conflicts will be resolved in later revisions of
these ports.  Sorry, but these ports are really only intended for
developers (stable API now) and for users who like having / can handle
the latest and hottest in goodies.  So, if you want to play around in KDE2,
be my guest, and send me bug reports/fixes.  But don't send complaints!
Especially not about how long it takes (approx 6 1/2 hours for the entire
x11/kde2 port, on my PII-300 w/ 128MB SDRAM) to compile!!  ;-)

This is a call for people to start porting KDE2-based programs!  If you
create any, just assign them to me (will@FreeBSD.org) in GNATS and I'll get
them in as soon as possible.  It'd be nice to have a fairly functional KDE2
in the ports collection in time for 4.1-RELEASE...

Thanks,
--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>