Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:28:56 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Nickolay A. Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP connections on broadcast address - why no advisory?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:42:31PM +0300, Nickolay A. Kritsky wrote:
>   Hello, freebsd-security.
>
> On the Bugtraq I have read report by Christ J. Clark about TCP
> connections on broadcast address. It can be found on
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/262733 . In this advisories
> I've read following:
>
> <quote>
> I committed changes to FreeBSD 5-CURRENT on Feburary 25th (CVS
> revision 1.148) and to 4-STABLE on February 28th (revision
> 1.107.2.21). After discussion with the FreeBSD security-officer@ team,
> these changes will not be incorporated into the RELENG_4_{3,4,5}
> security-fix branches nor will an advisory be released.
> </quote>
>
> Why no advisory will be released? What if I wasn't subscribed to
> BUGTRAQ? How would I know about this bug? Maybe I missed something.
> Sorry then.

There was a fairly long discussion on freebsd-net@. Also there was the
original discussion on freebsd-bugs@ when I came across the
PR. Obviously, the commit messages went out on cvs-all@ for the
pactches to both branches. In addition, there were several side
threads in which I was involved that didn't take place on lists (the
discussions with security-officer@ for example).

What I am saying is that after all of the FreeBSD related email I sent
and received on the topic, from my point of view, it seemed like
anyone one who follows anything FreeBSD security or network related
would have already heard about this issue.

But reviewing everything now, I guess there may be an audience on
freebsd-security@ that could have managed to miss all of that. I
thought one of the threads on the issue had spilled over onto
-security, but it looks like that was not an accurate recollection. I
should have probably CCed the BugTraq report here.