Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:10:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

> I'm talking about here. I'm talking about overall quality and usability.
> Everything from the cheapness of 99% of PC cases (yes, even the expensive
> ones when you put them next to something from a workstation manufacturer)
> to having to screw around with IRQs and in the bios. I am plenty willing

	You have a point here, though having worked for two companies that
specialized in high quality, high reliability PC's, we can come close, of
course it's going to cost you. There's a company (one of the two I worked
for a while) called Accurate Automations that is run by one of the Core
Team members that specializes in FreeBSD based PC systems. It's really
the right tool for the right job. I do agree with you though,
workstations are nice for the most part, I'd like to have one. :) But,
all three of my home computers are built using good quality PC hardware,
and by doing so, I've decreased problems with OS's like Windows95, IRQ's
are a thing of the past, and FreeBSD runs stable and fast.
	The hardest part is keeping up on what is good quality this week.
Due to the fact that the average home user has been conditioned to think
that cheaper is better, a manufactuer will build a good piece of
equipment or system for a while the there is a breaking point in their
quality control when it reaches a certain production number. I.e, Gateway
2000 was a good computer, when it first came out. DTC Motherboards were
good, back in 386 early 486 days. Asus motherboards a good now, if you
stay with certain models. AMD chips had a lot of problems in the 486
early pentium series, but I know consider great.

				Rick