Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:44:22 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FATAL error emitted by portlint -A

--QTprm0S8XgL7H0Dt

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 07:24:44AM -0500, Jerry wrote:
> I am attempting to update an existing port. When running "portlint -A"
> I am receiving an error message.
>=20
> # portlint -A
> WARN: Makefile: for new port, make $FreeBSD$ tag in comment section empty=
, to make CVS happy.
> WARN: Makefile: new ports should not set PORTREVISION.
> FATAL: README.html: for safety, be sure to cleanup README.html files befo=
re committing the port.
> 1 fatal error and 2 warnings found.
>=20
> The first two are no problem. it is the third one "FATAL" that I cannot
> understand. It never appeared before when I was updating this port. Is
> this really a "FATAL" error  or can I simply disregard it? The port
> builds and installed fine.

Did you run a "make describe" sometime during the testing of the port?
It will generate README.html and a couple of other files, none of
which are supposed to be part of the actual port - all of them are
autogenerated when the need arises (e.g. building INDEX).

So compare all the files in your port's directory with the files from
a previous, known-good version of the port, see which are the new ones
and if you wrote them or some tool generated them :)  If you didn't
write them, chances are you can safely remove them and things will work
just fine :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.

--QTprm0S8XgL7H0Dt

--QTprm0S8XgL7H0Dt--