Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:36:44 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPSec performance

On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 21:31:27 +1000, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you
wrote:

>On 2/9/02 5:48 PM, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 01:26:25PM +1000, Christopher Smith wrote:
>>> I've been doing some experiments with IPSec between some FreeBSD =
hosts and
>>> have been quite disappointed by performance.  I've followed the howto=
 at
>>> Daemon News and experimented with a few different algorithms but I =
can't
>>> seem to get more than about 5MB/sec over the wire.  Both machines are=
 Dell
>>> 1650s connected via a crossover cable on their GB ethernet ports.
>>> Non-encrypted speed is around the 30MB/sec mark.
>>=20
>> Encryption is by definition very CPU-intensive.
>
>I'm aware of that.  However, I would have thought a pair of 1.13GHz P3s
>would be capable of shuffling more than 5MB/sec over the wire.

When you are doing your tests, is the CPU maxed out ?  What is the load
average at that point ? Also, is that really 5MB/s (aka 40Mb/s) or did =
you
mean five megabits / second ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)