Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:41:23 -0800
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        gerti-freebsdq@bitart.com
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: USB and "camcontrol" update

Gerd Knops wrote:

> Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> > Hello Gerd and Family,
> >
> > I have followed the instructions for having my USB HP Digital camera
> > recognized by FreeBSD 4.1
> >
> I havn't worked with an HP camera (using a Sony S70 here), so I can't
> be off too much help. It may not work the way below at all. I have not
> come across any positive report about HP camera's, USB and FreeBSD. But
> then again USB support is quite new in FreeBSD. Read on though:
>
> > and the commands I used were:
> >
> > (A) mkdir /camera
> >
> > (B) camcontrol rescan 0  /*which reported success */
> >
> At this point check your dmesg output. Does it say anything about da0?
>
> BTW as AFAIK you can use HP camera's via the serial interface with
> gphoto (/usr/ports/graphics/gphoto, or www.gphoto.org).
>
> Gerd

Thanks, the HP-315 was a great deal, has 2.1 depth but it's a USB, at
$299 I couldn't complain. In addition to the built in USB on that
particular machine I have obtained a few Belkin USB cards (pci) which I
have to test and see if FBSD-4.1 recognizes.

I was hoping to avoid this whole USB thing period (like I've tried to
avoid owning a fuel-injected car) for maintainence reasons but it seems
to be unavoidable.

I applaud the fact that it's built into 4.1, way ahead of the Linux
distro.
--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076