Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:35:01 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-security@greg.cex.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to configure a FreeBSD firewall to pass IPSec?

On Wed Apr 04/30/03, 2003 at 02:50:44PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Guy Middleton <guy@obstruction.com> writes:
>
> > I have a FreeBSD box acting as a firewall and NAT gateway
> >
> > I would like to set it up to transparently pass IPSec packets -- I have
> > an IPSec VPN client running on another machine, connecting to a remote network.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this?  I can't find any hints in the man pages.
>
> It's impossible.  IPSEC can't be passed through a NAT.

That totally depends on what the endpoint is, and what the IPSEC client
supports. Nortel and Cisco (and most other commercial IPSEC device
vendors AFAIK) support this draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-05.txt

NAT traversal through IKE is now a reality. The vendor's documentation
will detail what other ports must be passed, on either side, to fully
support this. ISTR that it requires an additional UDP port.

I have succesfully (and repeatedly) used Nortel VPN client on a NATed
host through a FreeBSD gateway.

--
Greg White