Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:37:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        grief@newave.net.au (John)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brilliant question about FreeBSD

John wrote:
> I looked everywhere on your site and could not find, HOW MANY MEGS IS FREEBSD!!!
>

> How many megs IS FreeBSD???
>
> For a minimum installation (if there is one)?

Golly, it varies. It depends.

Here's the disk usage of a system of mine, a 486/33, which is rather
minimal, to my way of thinking. It has a basic developer installation,
and these packages:

[root@lucy /usr]# pkg_info -a | grep Information | cut -f3 -d" "
elm-2.4ME+38:
lynx-2.8rel.2:
less-332:
fetchmail-4.3.8:
procmail-3.11p7:
vim-4.6:
pgp-5.0i:
tcp_wrappers-7.6:
linux_lib-2.4:
lrzsz-0.12.16:
kermit-6.0.192:
minicom-1.78:
rdate-1.0:

Also a "bash" from outside the pkg system. (~1.5MB)

Disk usage:

[root@lucy /root]# df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s4a     31775    19605     9628    67%    /	<-- the min. to boot
/dev/wd0s4f    102911    88371     6308    93%    /usr
/dev/wd0s4e     29727    16648    10701    61%    /var
[root@lucy /root]#

The total disk usage is ~130 MB, not counting swap. (I think I have
about 60MB for swap on lucy, more than I need.) This is a non-X
"developer" installation, i.e. it has manpages and the C compiler
and related tools. These all go under /usr.  A breakdown of /usr:

[root@lucy /usr]# du -s *		Sizes in K
12033   bin		Executables
1       compat
2       etc
1750    games
3690    include		Needed only for development
1       info
9207    lib		libraries. Could be heavily trimmed (50-75% "fluff")
68      libdata
5135    libexec		miscellaneous daemons, parts of the C compiler
7715    local		optional stuff I use
1       man
101     mdec		stuff
1       obj
3785    sbin		system admin tools
26714   share		man pages, and related material
18166   src		I have kernel sources installed.
[root@lucy /usr]#

A minimal system can probably be shovelled into a 60MB disk.

Then there's picoBSD, sizes like 1.5MB.

Some volunteer should do clean installs of each of the options and
report the results. I might have an empty disk coming on line next week,
so if no one beats me to it, I'll try to remember to give it a shot.
It would make a nice addition to the sysintall screen.

Dave
--
http://www.microsoft.com/security: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most
                  secure network operating system available.'