Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:58:21 -0500
From:      Scott DF <sdf@expertune.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Does SMC2632W "Version 2" work with FBSD 4.6 RELEASE?

Please forgive the previous post with no subject.
Can someone verify if Version 2 of this card actually works under 4.6 RELEASE?
I have seen a number of references, but no success stories.
I am running on a Toshiba 4100XDVD laptop.
The card is discovered if I use this etc/pccard.conf entry
card "SMC" "2632W-V2"
config auto "wi" ? 0x10000
insert /etc/pccard_ether $device start
remove /etc/pccard_ether $device stop
But shortly after discovery, these messages appear.
wi0 at port 0x240-0x27f irq 11 flags 0x10000 slot 0 on pccard0
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x0000
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x0000
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x0000
wi0: init failed
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0021; event status 0x0000
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0021; event status 0x0000
wi0: mac read failed 5
device_probe_and_attach: wi0 attach returned 5
I have tried these alternate lines in pccard.conf with no better results.
config 0x1 "wi" ? 0x10000
config 0x1 "wi" 5 0x10000
config auto "wi" 5 0x10000
config auto "wi" 10 0x10000
After each change I re-start pccardd via kill -s HUP
Everything else about FreeBSD seems to be simply a matter of learning curve.
This has me stopped, and without networking, it's mighty difficult to proceed.
I borrowed a Linksys Instant Wireless card and worked just fine. Something
changed in V2 of the SMC card. I am willing to loan the card to a developer
for testing as I do not have the ability to resolve this myself.
Scott DF