Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2007 08:40:46 -0500
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        ruin evil <ruinevil@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking DVD to Real Media conversion solution...

According to ruin evil <ruinevil@gmail.com>:

>  Another compatible format that Apple's QuickTime Player can
>  handle is vanilla MPEG. The command line:
>
>     ffmpeg -i <inputfile.ext> <file.mpg>
>
>  will create a MPEG file with MPEG-1 video and MP2 audio.
>
> *** Use this to encode the .rm with your Real Producer..... OR DON'T,
> as QuickTime is the primary video player of Macintosh computers. No
> one use any type of RealVideo anymore... this is not the 1990s.

Fair enough, but when I tried this using ffmpeg-devel-2007.04.29_2,
this is what happened:

   freebsd% ffmpeg -i original.dvd.image.vob worth.a.try.mpg
   [lots of output]
   freebsd& % midentify worth.a.try.mpg
   ID_VIDEO_ID=0
   ID_AUDIO_ID=0
   ID_FILENAME=worth.a.try.mpg
   ID_DEMUXER=mpegps
   ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=0x10000001
   ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
   ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=720
   ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=480
   ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
   ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
   ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=80
   ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
   ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
   ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
   ID_LENGTH=1277.41
   ID_VIDEO_CODEC=mpegpes
   ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=64000
   ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
   ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
   ID_AUDIO_CODEC=mp3     <<== Real Producer doesn't like this either...
   freebsd% ./producer -i worth.a.try.mpg -o worth.a.try.rm
   RealProducer(R) Basic 11.1 Build number: 11.1.0.2676
   Info: Missing RIFF header. worth.a.try.mpg is not a valid AVI file.
   Error: Failure to load reader for file worth.a.try.mpg
   Error: Unable to initialize input
   Error: Failed to initialize inputs
   Done  Errors: 3 Warnings: 0

Recall that the Real Producer (basic) insists on one of three input
file formats: *.AVI, *.MOV or *.WAV

Maybe I misunderstood your suggestion(s), but this approach seems doomed.
I need to create Real Media output for our WWW site even though this is
not the 1990s.   :-)

Regards,

web...

--