Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:56:50 -0500
From:      "brain_damaged" <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   untarring a chicken I mean a file

When I d/l a file I do a
tar -xvzf file.name and it untars in the home directory of the user i have logged in with. Fine.
but when I try to untar it to say /home/untarred
it won't. get a message saying /home/untarred not found in archive.

I tried tar -xvzf file.name /home/untarred
and /home/untarred/
and tar -xvz file.name /home/untarred
and > /home/untarred and said is a directory.

how do I untar something to a specific location or can't I .
Yes i read man tar but did not get it from that.

thanks
md