Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 00:44:58 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP 1.65, five questions

> Hi!
>
> > > I'm using ppp v1.65, mgetty with Auto_PPP and chap
> > > as an authentication method.
> > >
> > > I have a couple of questions on setting up ppp server:
>
> > > 1) What compressions supported by Win95 (pred1, deflate, pppd-deflate)?
> >
> > None :-(  AFAIK, Win95 just does stacker.
>
> I think it also supports MSPPC:
>
> CCP: Received Configure Request (1) state = Req-Sent (6)
> CCP:  MSPPC[6]
> CCP:  STAC[5]
> CCP: SendConfigRej(Req-Sent)
> CCP:  MSPPC[6]
> CCP:  STAC[5]
>
> Are there any plans to implement STAC/MSPPC ?

Some people have talked to the Stac Electronics people with no
success.  Drop me a line if you want their email addresses.  There
was a discussion on freebsd-hackers recently about this.

As for ``Microsoft PPC'', I can't seem to find an RFC for that :-|
If anyone could rustle one up, I'd certainly try to add support !

Bill, are you reading ?

> > > 2) Does Win95 supports PAP?
> >
> > Yep - that's the little login window you get with the ``connect''
> > button on it (from memory).
>
> Yes, thanks, I've figured out how to use PAP under Win95.
>
> There is an option `Encrypted password required' (not exact, sorry,
> I have Russian OSR2 ;-).
>
> When setting it ON it is only possible to use CHAP authentication,
> when it is set OFF (default) it is possible to use both PAP and CHAP,
> as requested by the server. I think this info would be useful in FAQ.
>
> But when I use pap+passwdauth it is not possible to assign a static
> IP number to PAP user.
>
> IMHO, it would be useful if ppp assigned IP number from ppp.secret
> anyway, even if passwdauth was used.
>
> Is there another way to assign static IP to pap+passwdauth user?

Not at the moment I'm afraid.  I've got an entry in my TODO list
to remove the ``enable passwdauth'' command and implement smarter
password parsing where PAP can have encrypted passwords in ppp.secret
and passwords of "*" are looked up in the real password database.

> > > 3) Ppp makes an utmp entry with wrong tty-line, is this a bug?
> >
> > Sounds like it - can you give more details ?  Are you using the
> > latest ppp from http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian ?
>
> Yes, I'm using ppp-980227 under 2.2-STABLE (August, 22 1997).
[.....]

Ah, ok - you're right :-O  This is now fixed and available in -stable,
-current and on www.freebsd.org/~brian :-)

Thanks.

> > > 5) When I "set encrypt MSChap", I'm unable to log in from Win95 (OSR2)
> > >    with the following diagnostics:
> > >
> > [.....]
> >
> > Yep.  This is a bug really.  It was originally only tested with the
> > FreeBSD box on the client side.  I've been meaning to fix this, but
> > haven't gotten 'round to it :-|
>
> When I "set encrypt MD5" and using CHAP, always is OK.
> Does this mean that Win95 client uses MD5 to response to challange?
>
> Here is excerpt from Microsoft's Dialup Networking Upgrade 1.2b:
>
> | 3.5  Setting Encryption on Dial-up or PPTP Connection
> | There is no user control over encryption in the Windows95 Dial-Up Networking
> | client.  Encryption is controlled by appropriate settings in the Windows NT
> | Remote Access Server. Due to a bug in the Windows95 client, encryption must
> | be requested with compression. The server will not be able to negotiate
> | encryption without compression. (Note that the server can enable compression
> | without encryption.)

I think the problem is that NT (pre patch kit 3) couldn't do real MD5
(with a `type' of 0x05).  Instead it did a combination of MD4 and DES
(with a `type' of 0x80).

So the bit that doesn't work properly is a FreeBSD box requiring CHAP
authentication from a pre NT4 patch 3 client.

> Regards,
> --
> Ruslan Ermilov          System Administrator
> ru@ucb.crimea.ua        United Commercial Bank
> +380-652-247647         Simferopol, Crimea
> 2426679                 ICQ Network, UIN

Cheers.
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;