Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 06:21:18 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com
Subject:   RE: [OFF] Pentium vs Athlon which is better

6/25/2002 12:10:21 AM, "Gautham Ganapathy"
<gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com> wrote:

[snip]
>I have an Athlon (tbird 850) running on an A7V333. AMD approved
>heatsink/fan. The CPU temp often goes to around 85C and the fan is
>genarally at around 6000rpm (smashed my finger on it once). is this
>normal ? motherboard temp is somewhere at 50C. the temp hike is
>generally when i am in freebsd or playing games in win2k. running
normal
>apps (ie, editors, etc) is generally not a problem. is this a problem
>b/w the cpu and the mb

Not between your mb and your CPU.  Your heatsink, fan and case
cooling.  (BTW, what is the ambient temperature in the computer room?)

Have a case with some room in it for air circulation.  Have both intake
(in front, low) and exhaust (in back, high) fans in it.  PC Power and
Cooling sells very quiet but effective "Silencer" fans that work well for
this.  Also, make sure your power supply has an adequate exhaust fan.

Re your CPU heatsink and fan, there are sites, reviews and resellers all
over the Web about this.  While any AMD approved heatsink and fan
ought to keep your CPU from overheating if the case ventilation is
adequate, just below 90-95C is not where you want to be.  The CPU
won't die immediately, but cooler conditions may cause it to live longer
and will leave more of a margin for "error" (dust accumulation, warm
days, etc.).

Read about how to prepare and install a heatsink and fan with thermal
compound to promote heat transfer between the CPU core and heatsink.
Then select a heatsink/fan that gives you good cooling at an acceptable
noise level, AND IS EASY TO ATTACH OR REMOVE WITHOUT THE
DANGER OF STICKING A SCREWDRIVER THROUGH YOUR
MOTHERBOARD.  (This latter will depend on your own aptitude with
tools to some extent.;)

After trying several heatsink/fans I've personally settled on the Thermal
Integration TI77N, but there are likely almost as many opinions in this
regard as there are custom built computers with AMD CPUs.  The
maximum temperature I see is around 55-56C.

Jud