Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:09:47 -0500
From:      Patrick Whalen <patrickwhalen@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 02:17  AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:46:37PM -0500, Patrick Whalen wrote:
>
>> The NIC that I have is actually new. I bought it specifically because
>> it was listed in the Hardware Notes.
>
> Even the manufacturer's datasheet
> (http://www.efficient.com/pdf/products/1012_1020.pdf) claims that
> FreeBSD is supported.  Unfortunately it doesn't go as far as saying
> what chipset is used on the card.
>
>> When I install, or boot -c, I get a list of 6 drivers from which to
>> choose. None of them stand out as the correct one. At first, it shows
>> 7
>> conflicts. If I get rid of all of them, and then later on go into the
>> Networking configuration, the card shows up as an unidentified device,
>> or something to that effect. If I choose an arbitrary driver, either
>> nothing will show up under Networking, or I will get something like
>> faith0.
>
> The boot time configuration is only for old ISA/EISA cards that cannot
> identify themselves to the OS.  PCI cards like yours should be
> automatically detected by the OS and the correct driver selected.
>
>> Should I need to choose a driver, or is it automatic? Is there
>> something else that I'm missing? Is there anything specific which I
>> should look for when I type 'ifconfig'?
>
> Should be automatic.  Can you run 'pciconf -l' (as root) and show the
> list the output?  That will show the PCI ID numbers of all of the
> components on your system and what device (and hence driver) they
> correspond to.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
>                                                       Savill Way
>                                                       Marlow
> Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Bucks., SL7 1TH
> UK

[forgot to post to the list]

Here's the output of pciconf -l

chip0@pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70308086 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00

isab0@pci0:7:0: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70008086 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00

atapci0@pci0:7:1:	class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70108086
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00

none0@pci0:7:2: class=0x0c0300 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70208086 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00

none1@pci0:19:0: class=0x020000 card=0x1020111a chip=0x12161113
rev=0x11 hdr=0x00

none2@pci0:20:0: class=0x030000 card=0x89015333 chip= 0x89015333
rev=0x16 hdr=0x00

I have 3 pci slots. The card is in the middle one. Of the remaining two
slots, one has a modem, and the other is empty. Does it matter where
the card goes?

Do you have any insight into what faith0 means?

Thanks again for your help.

patrick