Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I still can't get my net install to work from CDrom

> > I tried again without changing this. I'm doing an
> ftp
> > install for a machine without a cdrom.  I did edit
> the
> > passwd file of the data server as instructed.
> Still I
> > can't seem to get the path right. I have tried
> >
> > ftp://192.168.0.10
> > ftp://192.168.0.10/cdrom
> > ftp://192.168.0.10/pub/FreeBSD
> >
> > in all these cases it can't seem to find the
> install
> > image.  Is there a better path I should be using?
>

> Ah, okay.  You're trying to install from a private
> server.  Look in
> the transfer logs for ftpd on that server to see
> what pathname it's
> trying to access.  It's probably going to be
> something like
> /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/

Thanks for the post Kris, but I'm not sure where to
find these transfer logs or what to do with them.  I'm
pretty sure that ftp is up on port 21, but I don't
think there is any sort of /pub directory.  My
understanding was that it could read the image off the
cdrom drive.  The data server is a basic 'user' class
installation.  Here is the contents of my /var/log

cron            maillog         security
userlog
lastlog         messages        sendmail.st     wtmp
lpd-errs        ppp.log         slip.log

Jim