Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:28:28 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        belphoebe@gmx.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7 stable does not recognize onboard AHA-1542CP that 4.6-stable does

On 17 Dec 2002 at 8:18, belphoebe@gmx.net wrote:

> It is written:
> > I'm trying to upgrade cvsup.nz.freebsd.org but can't because 4.7
> > will not recognize the onboard SCSI controller.
> >
> All I have to go on is a few old 1542C/CF 1522A isa cards . . .
>
> So, having glared over and over at that pr
>
> > At http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/45324 you will
> > find output from "boot -v" and "pciconf -l" for both the 4.7 and 4.7
> > kernels.
> >

> isn't the 1542CP, although on-board ( adaptec in the morning, sailors
> take warning), still technically isa?

I don't know.

> Even yet, have you done the
> dance of: disable pnp . . .rebuild kernel without options PNPBIOS (if
> it's enabled in any case) also, comment out "options
> CRASH_EVERY_OTHER_BOOT" hmm . . . device aha . . . it might be
> interesting to see the relevant lines from your kernel config

Disable PNP via BIOS?  The  box is remote; I will check that later
when I get someone to verify the BIOS setting. But FWIW, PNPBIOS is
not specified in the kernel configuration.

$ grep -i aha ZEKE
device          ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
device          ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
device          aha0    at isa?

> > Is there anything else I can provide to help solve this bug?
> >

> whoops, this is where I should have put that last request!
> last, what sort of settings changes have you done to your controller?
> ie pressing that fiddly little ctl-A after post but before it probes
> for disks, sometimes dma/iomem/quack quack bark bark don't play pretty
> under weird undocumented (warn the INS) conditions.  it was a while
> before LINT finally told someone that adv(4) didn't need "at isa?",
> doubly so, since mine's pci.

I haven't pressed control-A on this box in years...  So nothing
recently has been done.

thank you.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/