Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:47:36 +0100
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BCM4401 Support for FreeBSD

Hello Terry,

From: "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>

> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 12:18, Aeefyu wrote:
> > > i.e. Broadcom 440x NIC support for FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x (as found on
> > > latest Dell's Notebooks - mine is a 8500)
> > >
> > > Would anyone  be so kind to enlighten me on the the current status?
> > > Last I heard of developments being made was end of June.
> >
> > This was forwarded to me from Greg Lehey.  The dcm driver works okay for
> > me, but I had to hack it for some new bus dma changes.  I have noticed a
> > few issues of slowness with it when using it in a more "normal" sense
> > (i.e. using it to read mail, ssh to machines, etc.).
>

> Most likely, the interactive performance is a result of the RX
> packet coelescing, with a timer set to too long an interval.  In
> general, it's probably an easy adjustment to make.

It shouldn't be as I set the RX coalescing timer at the same settings as the
Linux drivers - and it is set to 1 packet.

> I notice that he also says he didn't know what to add into some
> of the timer and media routines, so that could be part of the
> issue as well (e.g. if it's getting wedged and having to unwedge
> itself).

Nope - no wedging is going on. It's packet aligment issues - either I'm
programming the RX DMA pointers wrong or not adjusting them correctly on
receipt.

TX is absolutly fine, it can easily max out a 100MB/s link with hardly any
CPU load.

> BTW: As a rule of thumb, if you don't know what to put in a timer
> or media routine, put a printf() there.  It will likely annoy
> someone into fixing it.  8-).

Ta - will do when the RX issues are fixed.