Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:23:01 -0500
From:      Louis-Philippe Reid <lpreid@videotron.net>
To:        Nicholas Brawn <ncb@zip.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disallow remote login by regular user.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 12:06:36PM +1100, Nicholas Brawn wrote:

> Hi folks. I'm trying to ocnfigure my system so that I can disallow a
> particular user account from being able to login remotely, and forcing
> users to su to the account instead. How may I configure this?
>
> PS. Users may be using anything from telnet to ssh to login to the system,
> so I need something that works across the board.

This is a suggestion, in no way am I saying over here that this a secure
solution to the problem...i'm just throwing out an idea for discussion.

How about setting up a script that would check what is the PPID of the
current shell and check if this PPID is associated with an other shell.
If PPID is an allowed shell (bash, sh, ...) then you know the user went
thru su.  Then you put this script in /etc/profile (or whatever is appropriate
for the user's shell) and the script would get the UID of the user running the
script and would check if it need to apply the policy for this user.
If user is in the list and if PPID is not a shell, kill the current shell...

it could even be the user's shell (a simple wrapper doing the job of checking
PPID and then exec'ing the shell if check is ok)

quick hack...but there could be security drawbacks i'm not thinking of.

Bye!